30 March 2011

Don't Mess With Texas

I made it home alive (without a nervous breakdown) from my trip to Texas. I brought twenty xanax to get me through the trip and somehow by the grace of "something" I managed to make it without taking one, except for the plane ride home, but I'll come back to that. I wasn't excited for this trip. Who can be excited about a funeral and spending time with family that is slightly off, but I vowed to myself that I would make the most of it and I think my sister and I did a pretty good job.
First Class Upgrade Yo.
We didn't get a single minute to enjoy the weather. All I wanted was one hour by the pool, but we couldn't fit it in. I'm still as pale as ever. An all time record in fact.
I even attempted to catch up on my reading. No such luck.
We arrived in Austin, drove to college station (home of the aggies)and checked into our hotel.
My sister and I thought we'd be able to check into the hotel, get a little time to freshen up before we met our family, but little did we know the family was waiting in the cafe for us. A mix of faces old and new.
We got a great little Italian dinner that night, followed by a trip to the bar. We played some college bar trivia, had drinks and I enjoyed some interesting conversation with locals when I popped out for a ciggy. I tried a Colorado Bulldog for the first time. Coke, Vodka, and Kahlua. So delicious.
Now would also be a good time to tell you that I met an amazing family power. I'm a MAJOR fan of eastbound and down. You should know that. Little did I know that I have a Kenny Powers in my family. Fits the description to a T. His name is Ricky. He goes by Roach. Hanging out with this guy livened my trip up immensely. He cooked an amazing BBQ lunch. I am absolutely thrilled to have met him. I guess he's my great...I have no idea. I couldn't keep up.
Brisket, Sausage, Chicken, Potato Salad, Beans, Coleslaw, Bread, Pickles, Peppers, Peach Cobbler, Banana Pudding, and Pecan Pie. I stuffed my face... So what!
I saw an uncle there that hadn't wore his suit since my moms funeral and still had the handout in this pocket. Weird.
Typical texas home decoration.
My grandparents vacant Saddleridge home.
On our final day there we got to finally see my grandma. She had recently been moved to assisted living, which I believe greatly played a part in the passing of my grandfather. She has Alzheimer's. Luckily she seemed to be having a great day when we say her. She seemed to remember that we were her granddaughters and even that I had a dog. She was so adorable. I hate knowing that this is probably the last time I will ever see her again.

Shortly after our visit, we headed to brunch and then a hotel coffee shop to meet with the last of our family and head to airport. I was pretty stoked to be heading home. It had only been three days but I was ready. But instead I was tortured.
First flight canceled.
Second flight missed.
Third flight delayed.
Third flight delayed again.
So we did what anyone else would do. Airport bar. I got drunk.
Eight hours later our flight finally took off.
Four hours later I was home.

No comments:

Post a Comment