22 March 2011

G.L.W


I'm heading to Austin, TX bright and early Thursday morning with my sister for a few days to attend my beloved grandpas funeral. He was my mothers father, a wonderful grandfather. I have many fond memories of him, of summers spent at their cabin in Montana, teaching me to drive his Cadillac, diligently chopping wood and making sure there was always salt lick for the moose/deer, chasing baby bears away when they got to close to the house (once one got in the house), building fires, teaching me the best cereal is the kind where you mix a bunch of different ones together, explaining our family tree, things about rocks (i never understood), and how to justify a speeding ticket for going too slow (he received several)etc. He wore cowboy boots and a hat every single day. He always looked so put together. And he was funny.

I owe thanks a millions times over for all that he has done for me over the years. He is one of the most generous persons I have ever known. I rarely talk to this side of my family and haven't seen many of them in years. I'd be lying if I said I was looking forward to this. It will be no vacation. This side of my family is nutty, as in totally crazy. I'm hoping/wishing/praying to something that I can find some fun and humor in this trip, that there will be a celebration of his life, instead of madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment